Monday, December 8, 2014

What I've Been Listening to Lately: December 2014



Disclaimer: a couple of the songs in this playlist have some mature themes…  By mature themes, I mean marijuana use and sexual attraction.  (Or in other words, what makes the world go 'round!  Ha ha…ha….. okay, maybe not?)  Anyway, these songs have been speaking to me lately.  They seem to have a sort of bluesy folksy theme about them…  although a few are also current hits.  You can definitely expect me to be strolling around downtown Seattle listening to these songs for the next couple of weeks!

1.  Another Story by The Head and the Heart - This song makes me want to take a deep breath, relax, and just smile.  The rhythm, sounds and lyrics inspire me to appreciate life, which makes me love the song.  You know how some songs just touch you?  This one touches me.  

2.  Jump (For My Love) by the Pointer Sisters - When I was in college, my friend and I spent a Friday night choreographing an intricate dance routine to this song, and video taping ourselves.  It was silly and ridiculous and wonderful.  (No, we no longer have the video…!)  I heard this on the radio recently and it brought me back to that time, and I've been listening to it ever since!

3.  Take Me to Church by Hozier - Much like Another Story, this song touched me, but in a totally different way.  Unlike the former, it has a harder/ heartbroken edge to it.  I find the melody and lyrics powerful.  "She's the giggle at a funeral…"

4.  Sex and Candy by Maroon 5 - Have I mentioned that I love covers?  This song takes me back to junior high, and this cover gives it a whole new life.  While the original by Marcy Playground had this grungey/rock vibe, this version makes it almost a blues song.  Whenever I listen to it, I picture a couple (who is hopelessly attracted to one another) dancing.  (I have no idea why!  Blame my Cinema Studies major - I subconsciously invent plot lines and movie scenes to certain songs.)

5.  The Heart Wants What it Wants by Selena Gomez -  I must admit that I am a bit of a celebrity gossip junkie.  I'm getting better over time (the first website I visit on my phone in the morning is now The Seattle Times as opposed to Perez Hilton), but it's still a weakness of mine.  When I heard that this song was Selena Gomez's response to her relationship with Justin Beiber, I was curious… and then couldn't stop listening to it.  We've all been there, girl.  

6.  I'm Not the Only One by Sam Smith - This is a sad song about a marriage breaking up, but I can't get enough of the bluesy beat and vibe!  His voice is the perfect R&B response to the melody, and I just love it.  

7.  Habits (Stay High) by Tove Lo - This is probably the most "mature themed" song… but I think it's super raw and honest.  I also really like the beat.

8.  Heartbreak Warfare by John Mayer - Another throwback song.  I love the use of strings, and how the song builds over time.  It starts off as song you might have on in the background, and before long you're nodding along and getting into it.  This was one of my favorite songs about 5 years ago.  


No comments:

Post a Comment